Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Read the end of this post

Warning: This is a long post with a lot of photography talk. You don't have to read it all, but please be sure to read the last paragraph.
I am in another one of my photography spurts. By that I mean that I'm reading everything I can get my hands on about the craft and trying to learn how to take the amazing pictures that I see in my head. With some of my Christmas money, I purchased an online subscription to a photography training website. It is phenomenal. It probably has over one hundred different video courses (taught by world renowned photographers) that are each 1-2 hours long. Anyway, I'm trying to watch one and then practice some techniques before watching a new one. So today's focus was on how to shoot outdoors with a bright sun.
I snuck Taylor outside during rest time and tried her in all different places throughout our yard. My first objective was to have her backlit to create beautiful highlights in her hair. The trick was finding a background that wasn't just sky (because it would come out too bright).


Then I tried using the new reflector that I got for Christmas to reflect some golden light back into her face. It was a little awkward and we only tried it for a few shots. It definitely wouldn't work on more candid shots of Charlie or Morgan.
Then I moved behind our house where the sun was completely blocked by our house. People think you should avoid shade when taking pictures outside, but actually it's the opposite. It's so much easier to get an even exposure. Plus I loved this wall from the bottom of our deck as a background. (The umbrella was her idea.)
It really was fun having a cooperative model to work with.

Finally, Taylor wanted to take pictures on our front porch (which was facing the bright sun). I decided to created my own shade on her face with my shadow. It actually worked pretty well!

Before heading back in I snapped a few more pictures of Taylor doing her thing on the back deck.

Well Charlie is no dummy and quickly figured out what we had been up to so we headed back outside after a brief wardrobe change by Taylor (the girl's got three winter coats!). Charlie decided that it was the perfect day for bike riding so they got in one more awkward ride before mom put the bikes in the shed for the winter.
I tried posing them, but it wasn't very natural.
I did like this one of Charlie.

After some brief snow stomping, we headed back in for some hot chocolate.

** I am starting to feel self-conscious about all of my posts being sent to people's email accounts. While I think it is a nice idea, especially for people who can't access the blogger site (like you, Julie) or for people who don't see my photos on facebook (like you, Jessica), I worry that some of it can become redundant or a bit much (especially since I'm posting a lot more these days). So here's your chance to opt-out! Already this blog is not public. Only those who have been invited by me can view it (you're a lucky bunch!). However, if you'd rather not get them emailed to you please let me know and I'll remove you from that list. I won't mind a bit, and you'll still be able to check the blog by going to http://taylorcharlie.blogspot.com whenever you wish.
There. Now it's in your hands, and I won't worry about it anymore.

I hope you've enjoyed the photos :)

No comments: