Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I'm Back!

I think this has been one of my longest lapses in blog posts this year.  I do apologize to anyone who may have been checking for updates.  I also want to remind you of my 365 project.  I update that far more frequently although I do not add much descriptions to those photos.  That site is far more public so I hesitate to add much personal information.  However, if you need your fix and your not getting it here, head on over and show me some love.

Okay, back to business.  As my husband has pointed out, it's been almost three weeks since my last post.  Life just sort of got away from me.  Many things have happened and subtle little changes have occurred in our family dynamics and schedules.  I wish I could present a more cohesive post, but there's just too much to cover.  So I've uploaded my photos in chronological order and will give you my ramblings as they occur to me.


Charlie learned a new game on Mark's iPad- Risk.  He learned it right away and enjoys conquering the world (which he has now done independently at least twice!)



Morgan has continued her love affair with crayons, markers, and whatever else she can get her hands on.




She still doesn't know any colors and I've decided that it's time we hunker down and learn them already!  So we will be picking one color a day to focus on.  Wish us luck!


Charlie has also really enjoyed creating things on paper.  The first photo was misleading, because really he hasn't been playing much iPad at all (or any electronics for that matter).  It's quite refreshing and a bit relieving.  I think part of it is due to the fact that he's mastered so many of the games he used to play.  The boy is like his father, and enjoys a challenge.  So he has shifted his attention to drawing people and writing words.

Oh, and he went through a two-day phase of wearing these in his hair.


I have had several photo shoots with the kids.  Here's my favorite of Morgan as well as some outtakes.






I also got some cute ones of Taylor.


I love this one.



I'm not sure why Charlie's didn't get uploaded, but after almost an hour of trying to get these photos here with photobucket's new format, I'm not messing with it.  You can see my favorite of his on my 365 project (from Sept 6th).

I am going to pause here to talk about something on my mind.  A huge reason why I haven't posted is because, quite simply, I've been busy.  I've been very busy.  And it dawned on me that I am a working mom.  I teach piano lessons, I have music therapy clients, I teach preschool music classes, and now I own a photography business.  The thing is, I never really made the conscious decision to start working. I just sort of wanted to keep my foot in the door so that I'd be able to expand my hours once all my kids are in school.  I guess that's what I am doing, but it's grown so much the past few months that I'm a bit overwhelmed.  I'm not complaining.  I love doing all of those things that I mentioned.  It's just a bit surprising for me to realize how much I have on my plate now.  It just means that I've got to be organized and disciplined.  Since so much of my work is done at home, I need to get better at drawing boundaries with work time and family time.  I feel like I have lately.  For instance, I now have Morgan Mondays (more on that later).  Okay, back to the photos.


Charlie finally started school on September 10th.  He was not overly thrilled about going.  He would have much rather been going to kindergarten like his cousin.  Still, it's nice to have some structure back in his weeks.  He is in PreK and goes 4 days a week.


Knowing Charlie and how much he likes to talk, you might be surprised to hear that he hardly utters a word in school.  We are working on that this year.


Charlie had his first outdoor soccer practice that day as well.


The girls and I took him.  I took pictures while Taylor cheered.  I took a moment to be grateful he didn't know enough to be embarassed of us yet.  Still, I wonder how many more years we can get away with that.


Here he is practicing the goalie position.


Oh, and did I mention, we got an iMac?  I love it.  Here's the kids exploring Taylor's online reading program. (It now sits on a much more attractive desk)


In addition to writing, Charlie has also struck a renewed interest in his legos.




Last Saturday was his first game.  He did great and played hard the whole time.




Just a random one of my little boy...


Both kids have been playing piano.  We took a little break from it over the summer but have resumed lessons with gusto.  Yesterday Charlie started reading note on the staff.


I put away the baby gates the other day after realizing that we hadn't used them in months.


I love this photo.  This is the sight I see almost every morning when Charlie cuddles with me.  He is just so affectionate.  The boy craves hugs and I'm happy to give them to him.

Taylor has been so incredibly helpful lately.  One task she's taken over is bathing Morgan.  They take one together and she washes her hair and everything.  It is just so sweet.


Remember my aforementioned, Morgan Mondays.  Well they officially began this week when Morgan had her first Mighty Max class.  This is a mommy and me class that I did with Taylor and Charlie when they were her age.


Here's the thing, I actually got a bit emotional walking in with her on that first day.  It really surprised me and I still can't fully articulate why I felt this way.  I guess I was just very excited for her.  It felt so good to be doing something just with her.  Something that her older siblings got to do and now it was her turn.  It also made me view her as more of a kid and less of a baby.  I wasn't sad at all, because I got to stay with her, but man, I can already tell that come her first day of kindergarten (who am I kidding- preschool) I am going to be a basket case.


She did a great job.  She sat on her carpet square and paid attention like a champ (way more than I can say for Charlie at that age).  She went up to the front all by herself when called on.


Of course, she was a big fan of snack time at the end.


Oh, and let's not forget the stamp.


Or craft time (which she also thought was snack time).


Here's Taylor feeling cool.


And Charlie reading to Morgan while she waited for me to get her up.


And Taylor after picking her up from the bus stop yesterday.


Phew! I did it.  I'm up to date on my blog.  I will do my best to update again sooner.  But for now, it's your turn.  What have you been up to these past few weeks.  Leave a comment or give me a call.  I'd love to hear from you!


2 comments:

DS Williams said...

This one had me laughing and crying. Not sure why the outtakes of M had me laughing. But know the ones her starting M&M had me teary eyed along with the one of C reading to her and T growing up so fast.

julie said...

What great kids!!! I only missed seeing YOU in this blog... But I share the same sentiments as DS...full of laughter and tears. Your kids have such character and you have a way of making them shine in the ordinary day to day things. Your blog helps me to remember the importance of living in the present moment and seeking the beauty in it. Thank you!!