Admittedly today's photos are not that exciting, but I did want to make a record of today. I realized that I spent the majority of the day playing children's games and just found myself smiling at the simplicity of their make believe.
We started the morning at my mom's house. She was working and we needed to let the stove guys in to deliver her new appliance. I had four kids with me because I was watching my niece, Addison, for my sister and Taylor was home 'sick'. One day I'll do a whole post about my mother's house and how about 75% of it is devoted to little ones, complete with a 'girl room' and a 'boy room'. Anyway, our first game was restaurant:
I didn't get any of Taylor and Charlie playing this but obviously, they were more into it than the younger girls. Although Morgan did enjoy shoving play food in your face and making a munching noise. Once you repeat the noise, she'd nod her head and walk away.
Next we played hair stylist. Guess who was the costumer.
That's my new lens! It is known by Nikonians as The Legend.
This was followed by a very brief game of 'doctor' that was interrupted by lunch.
We then played two rounds of Sardines before heading home for a much needed nap/rest time.
Taylor is wiggling her loose tooth!
After dinner, the games resumed. Taylor decided we should play 'cooking show'. Why not. We took turns demonstrating how to make our favorite dishes. (Taylor taught an invention she called 'ice cream toppers'.
Charlie whipped up a mean batch of chocolate chip pancakes.
And I made my signature stuffed shells.
Morgan was obsessed with my gloves. She had trouble putting them on by herself and quickly learned to repeat the word "help" for assistance. It sounds adorable.
After letting Charlie blow off a little steam,
The kids performed the play that they had been practicing during rest time, Cinderella. I must admit, it was well thought out. Taylor had about 10 costume changes. This is her fairy Godmother outfit:
Finally, after letting the kids stay up 90 minutes passed their bedtime, we turned in (but not before reading them a story!). It is certainly not the norm to play this many make believe games with my kids in a single day, but it was fun to visit their world for a day. I think I'll make an effort to do it more often. These games work their creative muscle in a way that board games and video games just can't do.
***************************************
Now for a photography announcement. I've decided to start a 365 project. It's basically a commitment to photograph every day for one year. There are a lot of ways to do this, but I've chosen a theme for mine. The theme will be my children. I've noticed that as I've been investing more and more of my time photographing other people and learning technique, I've spent less time and effort photographing my own children in creative and descriptive ways. I've been thinking about doing this for a while and June 1st sounded like a good date to start. It also marks the beginning of shooting with The Legend.
To check out my photos from this project, visit
http://365project.org/jodi
Today's photo is nothing spectacular. I didn't actually decide to start this project today until the evening. I also didn't edit this one at all aside from a little cropping. Anyway, it'll be a good baseline to see my progress over the next year. Here it is, #1 in my 365 project.
No comments:
Post a Comment