Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mother/Daughter Time

Friday evening was one of those times I dreamt about when I first heard those magical words in the hospital six and a half years ago.  "It's a girl!" While of course I would have been happy with any healthy child, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I had high hopes that my first born would be a girl.  I have such a special mother/daughter bond with my own mother and couldn't wait to replicate that.  As Taylor has started Kindergarten I've seen her transform from a child to a kid.  She's officially a big girl.  And now is our time to shine.  When I signed us up to attend her school's Mother/Daughter Event, I did not know what I expected.  Maybe some games or crafts.  While the night did contain it's fair share of those, it held so much more.

Let's start with the preparation.  Taylor got off the bus on Friday, chattering about how excited she was for that evening's festivities.  Taylor is generally a hyper, happy girl, but she is also reserved.  It's rare that she allows herself to express genuine excitement over something.  So I tried to nurture that spark of enthusiasm.  I allowed her to pick out our outfits, complete with shoes and scarves.  Then I let her take a crack at painting her own nails.  I stopped short of letting her paint my nails, because I really don't like having painted nails.


Before we left, we posed for a quick shot outside.


Then we let Morgan in one, because we both recognized her place in this special Mother/Daughter configuration.


Then it was off to the school.  First up was the fashion show.  Taylor got to dress me up in a garbage bag and accessorize me once again.  This became my attire for the evening.


Thankfully, I was not alone. (Notice my sister, Jessica!)


Taylor must have said "I wonder if you will get to keep your dress" three of four times that night.  We finally agreed that they probably wouldn't mind if I kept the garbage bag, but we should return the beaded accessories.

Next, was pizza and a chocolate fountain.  (This must have been Taylor's first trip to the fountain, because her face and dress were still chocolate-free.)


We followed this with a game of charades.  I was so proud of Taylor when she raised her hand to volunteer right away.  She wasn't picked until the end, when she was a very convincing kangaroo.

Until this point, Taylor remained quite subdued as is often the case with her in public situations.  The next event, called Minefield, broke through that calm exterior and released a very excited little girl as Taylor directed her blindfolded mama through a series of obstacles.  Giggling turned to laughter as she tried to guide me using only her words.  She loved it!  (So much so that we played our own version of Minefield at home on Saturday night.)


Now when my daughter comes alive, so do I.  And I'll do anything to keep that joy in her eyes.  Including letting her paint my nails florescent pink.


By the time we moved to the craft table, Taylor was having a wonderful time.  As was I.  She later told me that crafts was her favorite part of the evening.  We each made two magnets for each other, and quickly decided they'd need to go high on the refrigerator to stay out of the reach of little hands.


The next events weren't photographed as I mercifully put my camera away.  We played a version of the Newlywed game, called "How Well Do You Know Each Other".  I successfully identified Taylor's favorite TV show and Disney Character, but I was not current when asked her favorite color or subject (Spanish, who knew?)  Nor did I know that if she could change her name it would be 'Isabel'.

After these structured activities, they put on a Just Dance Wii game and dimmed the lights.  So we braved it on the dance floor.  In between trips to the chocolate fountain and dancing to songs I've never heard of, Taylor said "You are staying with me!"  That was my favorite part.  The time that I know is fleeting when my daughter wants me around.  When my presence makes her feel happy, secure and loved.  So we danced and talked and snacked and enjoyed our time together.  At one point she said "it doesn't even feel like school because it's so party-y."

When I came home, I was on an emotional high and more in love with Taylor and my role as her mother than ever before.

Life is good.



No comments: