Last week, I was formulating a post in my head about messes and childhood and embracing the two. Sometimes my mind goes straight to thoughts of how much more complicated or involved things can be and I forget about how much more fun they can be, too. Case in point- making cookies the old fashioned way. I remember when I used to make cookies with my mom and I'd try to get as much dough on my fingers while rolling the balls before placing them on the sheet. I did this because I knew my mom would let me lick my fingers when we were finished. Fast forward twenty-five years and I've found myself slicing pre-made cookie dough and telling myself the real fun was in eating the finished product. Well, I'm happy to report that I've since seen the error of my ways.
This propelled a week of messes which I overlooked and chose to focus on the smiles behind them.
I've also encouraged the bigger kids to delve into the art supplies and make thank you gifts, birthday gifts and mother's day gifts.
I was especially proud of Charlie for maintaining his attention on something other than electronics to paint three pictures for his grandmothers.
Aside from art, there have been other new interests the kids have discovered. Like making your own shoes out of snow boot liners.
Playing for hours in a rock pile.
Using a box of wipes as a stool.
Shoes, shoes, and more shoes.
Gardening.
So somewhere between my thoughts of the messes I'm embracing, I started thinking of everything else I'm so grateful for. Like the seven years of marriage that our family just celebrated. We took the kids to LaRosa's for spaghetti-o-plenty.
And Taylor's unexpected acts of kindness. Like when she spent some of her allotted money at the book fair on a book for her brother.
She's growing up so much. I volunteered at her school last week and got to see her reading the part of Narrator in a play for her class.
I also saw the new chickies that just hatched in their classroom.
Another thing that has my heart smiling is all the quality time my kids get to spend with their grandparents. All of the big kids have taken an interest in Grandma's gardening.
I love how a simple thing like a funny looking bulb can elicit such laughter and good cheer.
Morgan and Addison are finally aware of each other's existence. In fact, for the past three weeks Morgan has greeted her cousin with smiles and waves. I can't wait to see their relationship grow.
Finally, we celebrated Mark's birthday this week by going to a hibachi grill.
Before our food was prepared, Morgan kept a close eye on the table next to ours. When our chef began she was a bit concerned, but decided it was okay as long as I stayed next to her.
And can I say how cool it is that my girls will eat sushi?
We finished his birthday celebration at Graeter's. Taylor said that the bad thing about grown ups is that their birthdays are kind of boring. She's not wrong.
Sorry about the delay in getting this post out. I will post another one soon about my mother's day. Until then, have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment