Saturday, January 26, 2013

Good Days

I have really, really been enjoying this winter.  It's just such a great time to slow down a bit.  Our society is so fast-paced, and sometimes that is disheartening.  It's like we forget about what is truly important.  Lately, I've been reflecting on how I view my days.  I tend to feel like I had a good day if I was productive, and if I failed to be productive, than my day was a wash.  Well, I've realized that I get to define what constitutes a good day. It doesn't have to always be measured in how many loads of laundry I finished or how many new professional endeavors I pursued.  It can be measured by how many games I played with the kids or how many minutes my family spent interacting together, all five of us.  And by those standards, I've had some really fantastic days lately.









I admit that I feel like I've done a good job in prioritizing family dinners.  I have no problem eating an hour later if that means that we can all eat together.  However, I still do not understand why my children find it so hard to sit in one place during meals.  They are constantly in motion.  I've never counted how many times I say "sit down" during meals, and honestly, I don't want to know.


We finally got a few snow flurries on Friday.


I am writing this on Saturday and today was a wonderful day.  It started off with ALL THREE kids sleeping in.  Charlie was the first to wake up at 8:30.  Honestly, that has never ever happened before and it was glorious.  And then all the kids decided to cuddle in our bed together.  I loved it!








Much like mealtime, no one stayed still for long.  Still, I just found myself looking from one person to the next and counting my blessings.


Mark and Taylor are determined to finish the first Harry Potter book this weekend. They have about 40 pages to go.


When we finally rolled out of bed, I decided it was a chocolate chip waffle kind of morning.




After breakfast, we played Fluxx, Monopoly Deal and Backgammon.  Then we retreated to different corners of the house for a bit before thinking about lunch.


During the kids' rest time, Taylor came to me and asked me to pull her other front teeth.  I tried, despite my squeamishness, but was unsuccessful.  Still, I think it will be out by Monday...


Following dinner, we decided to play another new game from Christmas called Beat the Parents.  It's a trivia game with individualized questions for kids and adults.  It was quite fun especially since mom and dad won!


We finished the night with homemade brownies, more Harry Potter, and a few Elmo books.  All these games must have worn Mark out, because he was asleep before the kids! (Or maybe it was his afternoon tennis match that did him in.)  So I am going to use the rest of the night to read some photography blogs and tutorials and then call it a night myself.  Good night all!

No comments: