Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Once in a Lifetime

Last weekend Mark and I went to Belterra Casino in Indiana to see my songwriting hero, Jewel.

I hadn't seen her in 5 years (since I was pregnant with Taylor). When I saw they were offering a "VIP Experience" at this show, I decided to go for it. Before the show, they took me and the other 8 VIPs backstage. Her tour manager, Amy, showed us the tour buses first.

The white one below is the one that Jewel rides/sleeps on. It's named Polaris. Amy told us that they've had the same driver for many years, because you really have to trust the person who's going to drive all night while you slAlign Centereep. Later Jewel asked us if they were what she expected. She joked that they had to hide all the drugs and hookers. Then she said that seriously, they are probably the most boring tour bus. That they sit around and steam brussel sprouts.

Next, we got to walk on to the stage! Her guitars were already set up, but the rest of the set was covered. I got to see the view that Jewel sees. It was a very small venue- holds about 1200 people.
Finally they took us to a small room where there was a wine and cheese spread waiting for us along with our T-Shirts and autographed tour posters. Then Amy said "I'll go get Jewel. Dont be afraid to ask her any questions. She's real bubbly and will answer them all"
So here it is- my moment!! When she walked in the first thing I thought was "wow, she's tiny". I knew she was only about 5'5", but I still expected her to be bigger. First someone told her that they had been the one to ask her a question about a specific song on her last video chat (Jewel's been chatting live with fans once a week for about 2 months leading up to her new album.) Then I asked if she was going to continue doing them. She said "I don't know" and asked her manager who didn't know either.
Then they started taking pictures. We took one (the one above), then I said "sorry, can we take one more?" as I took off my glasses. She said "sure, but you look good with them on". :) I said "just in case there's a glare".

Then she stared signing autographs. Here's what she wrote in my scrapbook.
As she was signing them, she answered more questions. I asked her if she'd play a song that hasn't been recorded yet called "Shape of You". She said "yes, I probably will" (And she did!!) She mentioned that the venue had a strict curfew so she couldn't even have an opening act tonight. I joked "what's the penalty for breaking it?" and she laughed. :)
After signing all of our autographs she thanked us and we thanked her. Then she was off :(
The show was great. I love her solo acoustic. She took requests, played new songs, old songs, hits and previously unrecorded songs. A highlight for me was when she sang an unrecorded song called "Father's Daughter". First she told us about her grandmother who gave up her dream of singing to move to America. Then she taught her children to sing and played instruments and her dad taught her. She later told Jewel that it was all worth it so she could see her dream live on in her. The song is about how she is a product of such sacrifice. During it, the screen behind her showed old family photographs from Alaska.

Since Jewel's opener, Kip Moore, didn't get to play that night, she invited him onstage and sange "On Fire" with him (A Bruce Springstein cover). Then she let him sing one of his own songs. I thought it was very cool of him to let him have some show time so we could all hear him.

Overall, a great show!! She joked, told stories and sang her heart out. I'd forgotten how amazing her voice sounds live. There really is no comparison.
After the show, I went up to the stage and took a couple more pictures of her guitars. The strap was made by her husband, Ty. It's got fake bullets on it and they said they get stopped by security all of the time.
If you've read this far, you either really love Jewel or really love me. I'm guessing it's the second one. Thanks for letting me share my dream come true with you.

1 comment:

Grandpa in KY said...

I am so happy for you! when you are happy, I am happy!