Four days after the release of her album, Jewel also released a memoir called Never Broken: Songs are Only Half the Story. I knew I would eventually buy it, but was not in a rush to do so. Not until I learned that Jewel would be doing a book signing at a book store in Lexington, a mere 90 minutes from me. The good news did not end there. Jewel would also be doing a small concert that evening. I knew right away that I could not pass up the opportunity to be in the same room with my musical idol and to hear her sing live again. I just couldn't believe there were still tickets available to this general admission show just days before it was scheduled.
The morning of the book signing arrived (5 days after hearing her record for the first time and 99 listens later). I could not predict what what kind of crowd would turn out for this. It was a Wednesday afternoon after all. And what kind of pull did Jewel still have after 6 years laying low? I decided I wasn't going to risk it and arrived at the bookstore 1.5 hours before the 12pm scheduled start time.
After buying the book, I inquired about the book signing and the people at the register were clueless. 'It's not even set up yet. And you are in group C. She's going to talk with the people in group A first, sign their books, then group B and then your group. Just come back around 12." Luckily I did not listen to them because after walking to the back of the bookstore I saw this.
There was a woman hanging promotional posters so I asked her what it meant that I was in group C. "Oh we just call you over in groups when it's time to have Jewel sign the books, but she's going to sing a couple of songs first." What?! "Does that mean I can sit down now?" I asked. "yeah, if you want to." She said. So I parked myself right in the first row directly in front of the podium.
(I was a little excited.)
Soon after another fan arrived and I asked him to take this photo for me.
See that book on the chair? That was my chair!
Eventually they reconfigured the set up to accommodate her performing. See the microphone on the far left? And that's my chair in the front row.
Finally, Jewel walked out and stood 5 feet away from me. "Someone thought I'd be taller" she joked as she readjusted her microphone. She then spoke a lot about her life, lessons learned, inspirations behind songs. It was beautiful. She sang three songs: Hands, My Father's Daughter, and Mercy (my favorite from the new album). Before singing the last song she asked for requests. I didn't hear what someone said, but she simply said 'no' in a sweet little, high-pitched voice. Everyone laughed. She did too and said "you all are going to go home and say that Jewel wasn't very nice." Someone asked for a really old song and she said she doesn't remember it. "My real fans bring me lyrics" she joked again.
Obviously, I took some pictures, but only a few. I really wanted to remain in the moment. It occurred to me that Jewel doesn't often get to see her audience. While on stage, lights prevent a performer from really seeing who's out there. But not this time. Jewel could open my eyes and look right at me. I wanted to let her feel that she had my full attention. When she sang Mercy, I almost cried. I had goosebumps and was so emotionally moved by the song and by her performance.
After her performance, they pulled the table back over and called the first group to get in line to have their books signed. They said that no one would be able to get pictures with her so I settled for this one.
I loved having a front row view of her interacting with her fans. She was so genuine and gracious. She looked everyone in the eye and really listened to what they said. She was relaxed and natural. I was enthralled by her.
Finally it was time for Group C. Another girl in line had the great idea to switch phones so we could each take photos of the other getting their stuff signed. Before Jewel came out that day, another person had asked if Jewel would sign a guitar. "I don't see why not" was the answer. I had brought mine but had left it in the car not knowing its fate. I ran out and retrieved it before Jewel came out. I am soooooo glad that I did!!
Here's the photo of Jewel listening to me as I gushed about her new album. "I really admire how you stayed true to your art and made the record that you wanted to make. It's so beautiful." (Jewel had discussed how she knew this new record would probably never get played on the radio, because she had not followed all the 'rules' she'd learned about the industry. She had just made something that she felt was a perfect portrait of who she is right now.)
And here she is signing my guitar.
After getting my book and guitar signed I knew there were two more groups to go. So I sat back down in the front row and watched her interacting with her fans some more.
Then I remembered my friend Erin, who had asked for a signed book if I could manage it. I didn't the first time, because I didn't want to push it, but I realized that there were only a few people left and it was way before the 2pm scheduled end time. So I approached the woman in charge and told her the situation. "Go ahead and get back in line." she said. So I got to meet Jewel TWICE. I said. "Hi, it's me again. Could you sign this for my friend? She's an awesome single mom and is coming to the show tonight." "Sure" she said as she signed the book to Erin and her daughter, Maddie.
Then I sat back down in my front row seat as Jewel finished signing books. There were a couple other people sitting. One was a girl named Telissa whom I had met at the VIP experience I did 6 years ago. The staff asked if we were waiting to have something else signed by Jewel. I said "no, we just like to be near her". A few minutes later she was finished and she waved goodbye while we thanked her.
Then I floated out of the bookstore.
I had a few hours to kill before the performance so I grabbed a bite to eat and made a few phone calls describing my good fortune. Then I couldn't wait any longer and drove to the venue about 3 hours before the scheduled start time.
There I met a fan named Kenny who had driver up from Tennessee. Soon after Telissa came and the three of us kept each other company while waiting for the venue to open. It was amusing because the staff of the Woodsong Old Time Radio Hour were not used to fans showing up so early before a show. As far as I know, their acts are usually not international superstars.
Finally the doors opened and we got front row seats. Here's a shot my friend, Erin, took of us. I was so excited to be sitting in the front row for the second time that day.
It was a small venue and only held about 500 people.
It was a very interesting show. It was not really a concert. Instead it was a show that they record weekly for PBS. It was hosted by Michael Jonathon who started the show by playing a song with his wife.
Then he introduced Jewel and she played her first hit, Who Will Save Your Soul.
Throughout the show, the host would talk to Jewel, ask her to read excerpts from her book, and then she'd sing another song. She sang seven songs total and the show lasted one hour.
The girl in the background was a young teen who was invited to sing one of her original songs. Jewel then read to her an excerpt from her book where she addresses young musicians. The girl told Jewel that she was beautiful and Jewel laughed and said "I actually didn't know that this was being filmed. I thought it was just radio so I didn't even brush my hair!"
After the show, it was announced that Jewel would be sticking around to sign books and CDs. I still had an unsigned CD in my car so I went out to retrieve it.
Then I met Jewel for a THIRD time!
It was a thrilling, beautiful day. By far, my favorite part was having my guitar signed. It was like she breathed new life into and I have since written two new songs (After about a 6 year break from songwriting).
I know this was lengthy, but I really don't want to forget a moment of it. Thank you for reading this far. And honestly, go ahead and treat yourself to Jewel's new album and book. Both are incredibly moving, honest, and above all, inspiring.
No comments:
Post a Comment