Thursday, July 9, 2015

July (part1)

After looking at the amount of photos I had to share for this month I've decided to break it down into three parts.  Welcome to the first part of our July!

We have been swimming a lot.  I mean a LOT.  Between swimming at the Y, taking swim lessons and spending over a week in Florida, I'd say half our time has been spent submerged in water.




I started a new year-long personal project this month in which I choose a different lens to shoot with each month.  Since I don't have 12 lenses I also added other categories.  So for July I shot with my Sony rx100.  It is a compact camera that has the capability to shoot in manual and I've been wanting to learn how to use it fully.  It also has the added bonus of having an underwater housing.








This next shot was also shot with my nifty little compact camera. This is what grocery shopping looks like in the summer for me.


Morgan experienced a huge breakthrough in swim lessons this month.


She is now an independent swimmer.


We do take breaks from swimming occasionally to beat Grandpa in cards.


The fourth of July was a great day.  We started with some cooking and baking.






Then we went to the Wells house for a cookout.  I shot this of the little girls.  You can't tell, but they were playing cards too!






The weather was so perfect that day.  I could not stop commenting on it.  The girls and their dads took advantage with some batting and pitching practice.


Before we left I set up the tripod for some group pictures.


I was actually going to forego the Williams Family Picture, but Morgan requested one.  You don't have to ask me twice!


Then we headed to our friends' house in Blue Ash to await the fireworks.


See Morgan on the play set?  She basically climbed the outside of that thing the whole night.


Finally it got dark enough for these.


The kids had so much fun!




Not everyone was a fan though.


















I taught the kids how to set their cameras to fireworks scene which essentially means long shutter speeds.  They had a great time taking photos of the fireworks.  I had decided not to photograph them this year, but I'm glad the kids did.  Since they did not use tripods, they got some cool effects from camera shake.









(by the way, we were able to view all of these from our friend's driveway.  What a treat!


The following day we decided to try our hand at geocaching.  If you aren't familiar with it, you can learn more about it here.  It's basically like a world wide treasure hunt.




Despite our valiant efforts, we did not find any caches our first try.


The kids had vacation bible school that night so Mark and I did a little more digging and found some.


Then we brought the kids to discover them on their own.  Thus restoring their enthusiasm in the whole process.


We even came up with our own geocaching family name.


I leave you with a few random photos.  One more from VBS.


Morgan playing doctor.


A visitor from our front yard.


And no blog post from this summer would be complete without some rain shots.  It's rained so much this summer it's unbelievable!


Next up, our Florida vacation.  Stay tuned!

No comments: