Friday, January 3, 2014

How We Concluded 2013

After three separate people made reference to my blog's neglect yesterday, I decided it was time I showed it a little love.  I do want to gently remind you that you can always get a quick little update by checking out my 365 project here.  I update that far move often.  I typically do not add much text since it reaches a larger audience and I don't want to share too much personal info.  Still to see daily photos, head there.  Go ahead bookmark it (mom, I will show you how to do that later).  So with that out of the way, here's how we spent the last part of 2013.

I turned 36 surrounded by my family and one of my favorite desserts (chocolate cream pie).


Bed head.


Morgan had a Thanksgiving feast at school.  This is her face in almost all the photos taken of her at school.


Except when she is eating candy.




We had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  It started by watching the parade.  I try to get the kids to watch it with me every year.  They usually loose interest very quickly, but this year was different.  We watched the whole thing and enjoyed every minute of it.






Although my sister had Thanksgiving dinner at her house, Mark had the honor of cooking the turkey.  He did a fantastic job!


The kids had a bey blade tournament.


I coerced the family into taking a family photo.


Aunt Julie had fun with her nephews.


Crafts were involved.






Naps were snuck in.






More photos.




Grace and Taylor had everyone write down two things that they were thankful for on feathers and then constructed a turkey with them.  The feathers were read aloud and we got to guess who wrote each one.


The kids performed for us.


The weekend after thanksgiving is my mom's big craft show.  This year the girls came and sold rainbow loom bracelets.


I was so proud of the way they'd approach potential buyers and ask if they'd like to purchase a bracelet.  It paid off, too.  They made about $30!!


My mom's gang of helpers (minus Mark who had already left for a tennis match).


Mark and I were so tired that night.  We picked up the kids and took them to skyline.  PJs and all.


The kids had a special encounter with Santa again this year.  Once again, Morgan was not afraid.  She did exercise her right not to smile, though.



















I usually decorate the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving however this year I believe it went up the Wednesday after Thanksgiving.  This was a sign of how things would play out.  I just didn't fit in all the things I normally like to do during the holidays.  I told myself early on that it was okay, though.  The important thing was that we were having fun and enjoying every day leading up to it.








We had two snow days in December.






We still haven't mastered how to make a proper snowman.  Seriously, will someone give us some pointers?




Taylor started cheerleading again.


She takes her job very seriously.


I set up my own photo shoot for the kids so I could make holiday cards.






I loved this shot, but unfortunately, Morgan's eyes were closed.


This year my extended family decided to do away with the adult gift exchange.  I suggested we help out a music therapy client and his single mother instead.  I was so incredibly moved by the generosity that everyone showed.  She was so very touched and grateful and I was so happy to be able to demonstrate that there are people that care in this world.  This was truly a highlight of my Christmas.


Morgan showing off her unique style before preschool.


(The blanket stayed home.)


Mark's cousin called us with extra tickets to the symphony.  Taylor and Mark turned it into a date night and had a wonderful time.


Charlie and Jacob went to movie night at school instead.


I started redecorating the house in december. (I know, it was crazy timing, but that's how it panned out).  We bought a couch from IKEA with came in two large boxes.  Taylor loved playing in them.  In fact, I just threw the second one out yesterday.




Probably one of my favorite photos of 2013.




Doing her homework in the box.


Elfie returned to our house again this year.  The kids loved searching for him each morning.


Can you find Taylor and Charlie?  This was during their Christmas show at school.


Morgan came with me to the kids' christmas parties at school.  She bounced back and forth between Taylor and Charlie's class.  Both kids loved taking her under their wing.  It was very sweet.




I woke up one morning to find Charlie writing a few more letters to santa.  He ended up putting them next to his plate of cookies on Christmas eve.




Grandmama got everyone Hallmark ornaments.  Charlie's were Batman and Spiderman.




She also gave the family a WiiU which we've been enjoying every day since.


This not-so-little girl turned 9.


I usually make a ton of Christmas cookies during December, but this year we only managed 4 different kinds.




We also managed to make one rockin' gingerbread house.




We invited Aunt Julie to help us this year.  I love this photo because it shows what Morgan did most of the time we were building it.






On Christmas eve, the Wells family, Grandma and Aunt Julie came over for a special breakfast.




Followed by a few tolerated photos.




And then gift giving.


Grandma was very kind and opened any toys the children wanted to play with.


Then we decided to eat our aforementioned gingerbread house.  Everyone enjoyed a few bites and then ran off to all corners of the house to play with their new loot.


Except this one who was in a heaven all her own.


Until mom made her stop.


Finally, the kids practiced a Christmas play that they were planning to perform the following day.


That night Grandpa came over for a delicious dinner and more gifts.




I was a little afraid when Charlie opened these.


But not as afraid as Mark should be.


The great thing about Christmas eve is how willingly your kids go to bed so as not to foil Santa's arrival.  So after putting out cookies and sprinkling reindeer food, the kids were tucked nicely into beds so visions of sugar plums could dance in their heads. (Here's Taylor with her new canopy her Grandpa gave her that night.)


Finally Christmas morning arrived.


Every year I snag a photo of me and the kids on Christmas morning.  They are some of my favorite moments captured.


After opening gifts youngest-oldest and then oldest-to-youngest on Christmas eve, I decided to give Charlie the honor of opening the first gift Christmas morning.  Cheers to the middle child.


The kids had asked me weeks in advance if we could have cinnamon rolls with red and green icing on Christmas morning.  Such a simple request to honor, but they were thrilled.


After breakfast we all attended Mass in our Sunday best.


We then had the privilege of relaxing for several hours before heading out to my sister's house for Christmas night.  For over a decade we had been celebrating Christmas at my aunt and uncle's house in Indiana.  This year they decided to pass the reigns to someone else.  The Wells family graciously offered to open their home to us.  We had a wonderful time.




The kids performed their play.  Look at little Mary and Joseph.


And there's baby Jesus, an angel and two wise men.


Jessica decided to try something new this year and we all sang Christmas carols in the basement.






Accompanied by yours truly.


It was a wonderful Christmas.  But what followed Christmas was also special.  My favorite day of the year is December 26th.  We stay in our PJs, stay in our house, and just play, play, play with all our new toys and gadgets.  I love it.  It's one of the few times that a crazy, messy house doesn't phase me.  In fact, the messier the better.


This year, that cozy laziness extended for days and days.


The big girls and I did venture down to Kentucky for a brief visit with Grandma and Grandpa.






The girls attended an acting/singing/dancing workshop at a local theatre.  I was so proud of them.






Afterwards, we went to a pizza joint that had rides and games.  We had a great time together.


Aside from our Kentucky visit, we've enjoyed hanging out at home, playing wii and other new games, watching movies, and experimenting with various sleeping arrangements.  (I even slept with Taylor in her bed one night.)  We did head out on New Year's eve for some annual traditions.  My mom braved another NYE with all her grandchildren.  This year she had Julie for back up.


Mark and I spent rang in another new year with some good friends.  Many of whom I've known for over 20 years.


Happy New Year!


Phew!! I'm off to bed.  Only two more days left of our Christmas vacation.

No comments: